(pdf: Noemi Pace CV_2015_eng)
Assistant Professor, Department of Economics at University Ca’ Foscari of Venice, and Stanford Health Policy Adjunct Associate, Stanford University.
Applied Microeconomics, Health Economics, Experimental Economics.
2004 – 2008 PhD in Economic Theory and Institution, University of Rome “Tor Vergata”. Thesis title: Essays on Health Economics.
2006 – 2007 Visiting, Center for Health Policy, Stanford University.
2003 – 2004 Master of Science in Development Economics and International Cooperation, University of Rome “Tor Vergata”. Thesis title: “Small and Medium Enterprises in Developing Countries”.
1999 – 2003 BA (Laurea) in Economics, 110/110 cum laude, University of Rome “Tor Vergata”. Thesis title: “Fertilità e crescita economica: teoria e analisi empirica dei nessi causali” (Fertility and economic growth: theory and empirical analysis of causal links).
2002 Erasmus Programme, John Moores University, Liverpool (UK).
Publications refereed journals
– “Make-Up and Suspicion in bargaining with cheap talk. An experiment controlling for gender and gender constellation” (with D. Di Cagno, A. Galliera, W. Guth, L. Panaccione), Theory and Decision (2015), forthcoming.
– “The health care system reform in China: Effects on out-of-pocket expenses and saving” (with V. Atella and A. Brugiavini), China Economic Review. In press. Doi: 10.1016/j.chieco.2015.02.003
– “The Explanatory and Predictive Power of Non Two-Stage-Probability Theories of Decision Making Under Ambiguity” (with J. Hey), Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, vol. 49, pp 1-29 (2014).
– “Changes in Individual and/or aggregate?” (with J. Hey), Applied Economic Letters, vol. 22, pp 180-183 (2014).
– “Disentangling risk aversion from ambiguity aversion in unknown and in compound lotteries: a smooth ambiguity model experimental approach” (with G. Attanasi, C. Gollier and A. Montesano), Theory and Decision, vol. 77, pp 485-530 (2014).
– “Health status and portfolio choice: is their relationship economically relevant?” (with S. Bressan and L. Pelizzon), International Review of Financial Analysis, vol.32, pp. 109-122 (2014).
– “Human resource management and productivity in the Trust Game Corporation” (with L. Becchetti and G. Gianfreda), International Review of Economics, vol. 59, pp. 3-20 (2012).
– “Health Status and Portfolio Choice: Does feeling better affect your attitude towards risk?” (with L. Pelizzon and S. Bressan), in Geneva Association Information Newsletter: Health and Ageing, Geneva, The Geneva Association , vol. 26, pp. 9-13 (2012).
– “Maternal and Neonatal Health Expenditure in Mumbai Slums, India: A Cross Sectional Study” (with J. Skordis-Worrall, U. Bapat, S. Das, N. Shah More, W. Joshi, A. Pulkki-Brannstrom, D. Osrin), BMC Public Health, vol. 11:150, pp. 1-12 (2011).
– “Food commodity derivatives: a new cause of malnutrition?” (with A. Seal and A. Costello), Lancet, vol. 371, pp.1648-1650 (2008).
– “Futures and food prices — Authors’ reply” (with A. Seal and A. Costello), Lancet, vol. 372, pp.628-629 (2008).
– “Are Employers discriminating with respect to weight? European Evidence using Quantile Regression” (with V. Atella and D. Vuri), Economics and Human Biology, vol. 6, issue 3, pp.305-329 (2008).
– “Understanding how women’s groups improve maternal and newborn health in Makwanpur, Nepal: a qualitative study” (with J. Morrison, R. Thapa, S. Hartley, D. Osrin, M. Manandhar, K. Tumbahangphe, R. Neupane, B. Budhathoki, A. Sen, D.S. Manandhar, A. Costello), International Health, vol. 2, issue 1, pp.25-35 (2010).
Publications in refereed journals (in Italian)
– “Le discriminazioni retributive: un approccio giuridico ed economico” (with Silvia Foffano), Lavoro e Diritto, vol. 4, pp. 663-688 (2012).
Articles published in books
– “The Chinese health care system reforms and household saving patterns: some stylized facts” (with V. Atella, A. Brugiavini, and H. Chen). In “The Globalisation of Chinese Business: Implications for Multinational Investors”, Chandos Publishing, Oxford (2014).
– “Crisi economica e riduzione del reddito: effetti sullo stato di salute” (in Italian – with E. Croda). In Rizzi and Zantomio Analisi e strumenti di politica sociale, Edizione Ca’ Foscari Collana Politiche Sociali Studi e Ricerche (2013).
– “Riforme nel settore sanitario in Cina: rassegna degli effetti sulla domanda di cure sanitarie, spese out-of-pocket e risparmio familiare” (in Italian). In Rizzi and Zantomio Analisi e strumenti di politica sociale, Edizione Ca’ Foscari Collana Politiche Sociali Studi e Ricerche (2013).
– “Welfare and the Crisis: Pension System Reform in Serbia” in Experiences in overcoming the global economic crisis – the cases of Italy and Serbia (Z. Aranđelović and D. Martellato). Thematic Collection of Papers (2011).
– “Does Health Insurance Make you Fat?” (with J. Bhattacharya, K. Bundorf, and N. Sood), NBER book Economic Aspects of Obesity (M. Grossman and N. Mocan eds.). University of Chicago Press (2011).
– “Corporate Trust Game in Modern Knowledge Economies” (with L. Becchetti) in Corporate Social Responsibility and Corporate Governance: the contribution of economic theory and related disciplines (L. Sacconi, M. Blair, E.Freeman, A. Vercelli eds.) (2011). Palgrave Macmillan.
– “Istruzione, Tecnologie di Informazione e Sviluppo” (in Italian – with F. Ciuffi and A. De Socio) in Globalizzazione, istruzioni per l’uso: Comportamenti individuali, regole del gioco, istituzioni (L. Becchetti, L. Paganetto, C. Pietrobelli eds.), Meridiana Libri Saggi (2006).
– “’Make-up’ and ‘suspicion’ in a bargaining game. An Experiment controlling for gender and gender constellations” (with D. Di Cagno, A. Galliera and W. Güth). Working Paper. Submitted.
– “The Health Care System in China: Any Role for the Private Sector?”, Working Paper. Submitted.
– “Extending Health Insurance: Effects of the National Health Insurance Scheme in Ghana”, (with A. Brugiavini), EUI Working Papers, European University Institute, vol. RSCAS 2011/27. Submitted.
– “Disentangling risk aversion from ambiguity aversion in unknown and in compound lotteries: A KMM Experimental Approach” (con G. Attanasi, C. Gollier and A. Montesano), Working Papers Department of Economics, University Ca’ Foscari of Venice, vol. 23, pp 1-48.
-. “Family Networks and Health Seeking Behaviors: Evidence from Nepal” (with J. Skordis, D. Osrin, M.V. Hernandez, I. Rasul), Working Paper (2013).
– “Household Saving and Reform of the Housing Finance System in Urban China” (with V. Atella, A. Brugiavini, and H. Chen), Working Paper (2013).
– “Does Health Insurance Make you Fat?” (with J. Bhattacharya, K. Bundorf, and N. Sood), NBER Working Paper 15163 (2009).
– “Are employers discriminating with respect to weight? European Evidence using Quantile Regression” (with V. Atella and D. Vuri), CEIS Research Paper 123/2008, University of Rome Tor Vergata (2008).
– “Wages and weight in Europe: evidence using quantile regression model”, (with V. Atella and D. Vuri), ChilD Working Paper, No. 23/2007 (2007).
– “The valorization of human capital as a key element of competitiveness: the trust game corporation perspective”, (with L. Becchetti), Corporate Social Responsibility Paper 4/2006, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei (2006).
2009 Research Fellow, LUISS University, Department of Economics and Management.
2008-2009 Research Fellow, University College London Centre for International Health and Development.
2006-2007 Research Analyst in Acumen LLC, Burlingame (US).
2004 Intern at the United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO), Amman (Jordan).
2004 Tutor del Master of Science in Development Economics and International Cooperation, University of Rome “Tor Vergata”.
2014 Instructor course “The Gender Wage Gap and Job Discrimination” (Undergraduate – U), Ca’ Foscari-Harvard Summer School.
2009-2013 Instructor of Microeconomics (U), Ca’ Foscari University of Venice
2009-2010 Teaching Assistant for Microeconomics (U). LUISS University
2009 – 2010 Teaching Assistant for Econometrics (G). LUISS University
2009 Instructor of Economics (G). LUISS University
2009 Instructor of International Health Economics (G). University of Rome “Tor Vergata”
2007-2008 Teaching Assistant for Microeconomics (G). University of Rome “Tor Vergata”
2007-2008 Teaching Assistant for Macroeconomics (U). University of Rome “Tor Vergata”
2005-2006 Teaching Assistant for Microeconomics (G). University of Rome “Tor Vergata”
Works in Progress
– Investigation of non-standard theories of economic behaviour under risk and ambiguity.
– Experimental analysis of gender differences in risk attitude, negotiation and bargaining.
– SHARE Survey of Health Ageing and Retirement in Europe.
– CHARLS China Health, Ageing and Retirement Longitudinal Survey.
– Reforms and Saving in the People’s Republic of China.
Organization of academic events
2013 Organization of the VIU – Summer School of Ageing – I Edition. Link
2014 Organization of the VIU – Summer School of Ageing – II Edition. Link
Seminars and Conference Presentations
2014 Conference on China After 35 Years of Economic Transition, London Metropolitan University, 8-9 May 2014.
2014 International Meeting on Experimental and Behavioral Social Sciences, University of Oxford, 10-12 April.
2014 5th Southern Europe Experimentalists Meeting, Sesimbra, Lisbon Region, 30 Jan.-1 Feb.
2013 Alhambra Experimental Workshop, Rome 2-5 October.
2013 International Meeting on Experimental and Behavioral Economics (IMEBE), Madrid.
2013 QED Jamboree, University of Vienna, Vienna 2-4 May.
2012 SHARE Users’ Conference, Venice, 28-29 June
2012 QED Jamboree, University of Copenhagen, 4-5 May
2012 SHARE Wave 5 Meeting, Brixen, 22-23 March
2012 International Meeting on Experimental and Behavioral Economics (IMEBE), Castellòn, Spain
2012 NETSPAR Pension Workshop, Amsterdam
2011 ESA European Conference, Luxembourg, 14-17 September
2011 8th World Health Congress on Health Economics (iHEA), Transforming Health & Economics, 10-13 July, Toronto (Canada).
2011 International Economic Science Association (ESA) Conference, 7-10 July, Chicago (US).
2010 Foundation in Utility Theory (FUR) Conference, 15-18 June, Newcastle (UK).
2010 ERD Regional Conference on “Promoting Resilience through Social Protection in Sub-Saharan Africa”, 25-27 June, Dakar (Senegal).
2009 7th World Health Congress on Health Economics (iHEA), 12-15 July, Beijing (PRC)
2008 European Conference on Health Economics, 23-26 July, Rome (IT).
2008 Centre for International Health and Development, University College London, 12 November, London, (UK).
2007 Center for Health Policy, Stanford University, 17 July, Stanford (US).
2006 Marie Curie Conference CORE, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei, 22-23 June, Milan (IT).
Bulletin of Economic Research, Canadian Journal of Economics, Economics of Education, Health Economics, Labour, Research in Economics, Social Science and Medicine.
Honors and Scholarship
2008-2013 Stanford Health Policy Adjunct Associate, Centre for Health Policy and Centre for Primary Care and Outcomes Research (CHP/PCOR), Stanford University US.
2004-2007 Ph.D. scholarship for completion of the programme at University of Rome Tor Vergata in Economic Theory and Institutions.
2002 Socrates‐Erasmus Scholarship, John Moores University, Liverpool UK.